(spoiler-free movie review)
Phantasm is a surrealistic journey that explores themes of loss and fear through the eyes of an adolescent boy, coping with the death of his parents. It’s a beautifully crafted film, full of dream-like imagery and assured direction from Don Coscarelli.
Phantasm features solid performances from it’s small cast with the standout being Angus Scrimm as the “Tall Man”. He delivers a confident physicality to his role as a supernatural undertaker. The friendship between Jody(Bill Thornbury) and Reggie(Reggie Bannister) seems genuine and the actor who portrays Jody’s younger brother(Michael Baldwin) was endearing.
The cinematography is where this movie truly shines. Considering the low budget (and limited experience from cast and crew), it’s remarkable how much visual flair and atmosphere made it’s way onto the screen. Some strange editing choices and awkward scene transitions hinder the flow but this is a fairly minor gripe and only slightly detracts from the overall presentation.
The music from American composer Fredric Myrow is another area in which Phantasm excels. The main theme perfectly captures the mysterious tone of the movie and is instrumental in creating a sense of other-worldly dread.
Phantasm is an iconic independent film that deserves it’s cult status and is among the best of 1970’s cinema. A solid recommendation for connoisseurs of horror.
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
– coe33 (social links below)
- Media Format: Blu-ray (Limited Edition Steelbook) Remastered
- Setup: Vizio 70″ 4K V-Series(V705-H) Television, JBL 9.1 Doby Atmos Soundbar with Subwoofer, Sony UPB-X700 UHD Blu-ray Player
- Question: What’s your favorite Phantasm movie? Cast your vote on the poll below!
Transparency is important in entertainment journalism! Media Scroll strives to deliver original content in an ethical pro-consumer environment. Below are important stats about this review and website.
- This movie(Phantasm Remastered Steelbook) was purchased with my(coe33’s) own money and has not been influenced by any other parties.
- The photos used in this review are all original screenshots taken by me.
- Wikipedia was referenced for dates and correct spelling of actors names.
- This website monetizes through sparring use of non-obtrusive ads and Amazon Affiliate links which are always well-defined and clearly marked. Use of these links helps support our goal of growing The Media Scroll and paying authors/contributors for original content. Thank you.